As noted in Module 4, creating targets permits you to customize the content that those targets can view as well as the communications that they receive. Targeting can be done for most areas of the platform including the Home Page, My Locker, Achievements, Forums, Requests/Interactions, Events, Webinars, Documents, Course Enrollments, Programs, and Email Campaigns.
This week’s tutorial will review each target filter option, introduce a couple of new filters, and present you with the best practice for a few of the most frequently used target filters.
Basic Profile Filter
- Select individuals by gender, set age parameters or set registration date parameters.
- All information is filtered from the profile.
Basic Profile Filter Using Custom Attributes
Best Practice: Create a target group based on a specific custom attribute such as department, job title, and even course name (if you will be using this target list to create enrollments).
- Select individuals by profile created custom attributes or field/s.
- Custom attributes or field/s can be managed in the Users and People area.
- You will have the ability to create a customized drop-down menu of options for each attribute.
Best Practice: Have the ability to manually manage adding and deleting users from your target group.
- Select individuals by name from active site users.
Tip: If you know that your target will consist of more than a few people, you may prefer to use the Email Filter to maximize efficiency. The Email filter is explained below.
Social Registration Filter
- Select individuals based on registration from specific Social Networking Sites.
NEW! User Email Filter
Best Practice: This method can be used if you need a single list of users who need to view or complete or see the same content.
- Select individuals using a .CSV file upload of a list of email addresses.
- Any changes made to the target, will need to be made to your file and re-uploaded.
- Select individuals based on the Status, Priority and/or Range Type/quantity of requests/interactions.
Created Topics Filter
- Select individuals based on topics created for a specific forum and/ or Range Type/quantity of topics created by the user.
Topic Comments Filter
- Select individuals based on topic comments from any or a specific forum, given or received (Interaction Type) and / or Range Type/quantity.
Topic Votes Filter
- Select individuals based on Topic Votes from any or a specific forum, given or received (Interaction Type) and/or Range Type/quantity.
Topic Favorites Filter
- Select individuals based on Topic Favorites from any or a specific forum, given or received (Interaction Type) and/or Range Type/quantity.
- Select individuals based on Program enrollment, Course enrollment and Status (Not started, Started, Finished). Also, select a progress type and completion percentage.
Best Practice– Find out which learners have earned, not-earned their certificates and send out an email campaign communication using this target.
- Select individuals based on the status of an earned/non-earned certificate in a specific course.
Best Practice: Use the RSVP target filter to drive a communication to users who need to rsvp to an event or create a list of who has confirmed their RSVP and send them special instructions.
- Select individuals for a target based on their RSVP status for an Event.